[Bf-funboard] oops schematic

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 22:53:53 CEST 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 1:25 PM, Martin Poirier <theeth at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On Tue, 3/31/09, Peter Haehnlein <hidarikiki at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> I just heard that the oops schematic view will be gone. Is
>> that true?
>>
>>    I just want to say that there's no better view to
>> teach beginners
>> about Blenders object oriented approach. Kind of
>> inconvenient that I now
>> have to keep old blender versions to do this part of my
>> lessons.
>>
>>    It was very handy to show what happens when you
>> duplicate with shift
>> or alt D or what it means to have the object or the mesh
>> carry the link
>> to the material.
>
> The problem is that it would get unwieldy very fast as scenes grew larger and was next to useless on scene that were big enough that a scene graph viewer would have been useful.
>
> We couldn't figure out good solutions to fix this flaw during wintercamp so it was decided to drop it.
>
> That doesn't mean *forever*, but until someone fixes the inherent problems of such a graph view...
>
> I understand why it would be useful for teaching though. :|
>
> Martin

Agree oops ended up being pretty useless in scenes big enough that
you'd want to use it,
heres a test I did for making rna generate an oops view in blender
2.5, but its not finished since not all datablocks link up that
should.
http://www.graphicall.org/ftp/ideasman42/rna_oops_graphviz.svg

--
- Campbell