[Bf-funboard] Empties in the bone hierarchy

Nathan Vegdahl cessen at cessen.com
Tue Mar 31 05:48:53 CEST 2009

> so it only took him several screen clicks in Maya to get him to 90+%.  Like
> I said, auto-rigging scripts are the way to go.  And these scripts should do
> more then just rig the characters.  They should build the UI to control the
> characters as well...

   You have no idea how much I agree with you about that.
Unfortunately, Blender as it stands right now doesn't have good enough
support in scripting to allow for that sort of thing.  It's one of the
things I'm really, really looking forward to doing with 2.5's new
scripting capabilities.

   In general I'm not a fan of off-rig controls, though.  As an
animator I like to feel like I'm actually grabbing and moving the
character itself.  Having the controls (or even just shortcuts to
selection) be in some control panel always feels extremely awkward to
me.  Personal preference, though.

   But yeah, auto-rigging scripts?  Way ahead of you.  I've been
waiting to do that ever since I started rigging the fingers for BBB.
;-)

--Nathan V