[Bf-funboard] Blender - Alt M

Tony Mullen tony.mullen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 08:12:07 CET 2009

Hi,

Although phong was mistaken about the ability to adjust limit
distance, there is a valid point that remove doubles is intended as a
tool for removing doubled verts, not as a general merge tool. The
merge tools as they are are much more flexible, but they simply lack
the ability to control where the merged point winds up on cases where
there are >2 points being merged.

Proximity shouldn't have anything to do with it. For example, I want
to merge points b, c, d, e, and f together and have them wind up at
the place where b was originally like so:

a__b_________c___d___e___f___g

a__b________________________g

Proximity would bring "a" into the equation, which has nothing to do
with what I want.

This is really simple with the "At First/At Last" option. You just
select the points and merge them, making sure b is selected last or
first. It's not otherwise possible without some extra snapping steps,
as far as I can see.

>(two groups of verts). Not only is that a modal behavior, but also
>there's not a particularly easy way to tell Blender which selected
>verts (or edges, for that matter) belong to which group you want to
>merge from/to. What's being asked for sounds too unpredictable to
>automate.

As I understand it, the proposed functionality is exactly what is
already present for cases where you merge 2 verts, it's simply missing
for cases where you merge 3 or more verts.

Is there any actual reason why the "At First/At Last" menu entries are
not present in cases of more than 2 selected verts? It almost seems
that it must have been deliberately left out for some reason.