[Bf-funboard] Blender - Alt M

Roger hovergo at net-tech.com.au
Wed Jan 7 03:03:06 CET 2009

Sangwoo Hong wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Robert Wenzlaff (AB8TD) <
> rwenzlaff at soylent-green.com> wrote:
>
>> Right next to the Remove Doubles button in the Meshtools panel of the Edit
>> Buttons.  It's labled "Limit".
>

> Man, I didn't even realize there was a button for Remove Doubles let alone a
> slide which controls the limit distance. I've always just used W,6.
>
> I did notice one problem with remove double's functionality even with the
> limit option though.  The problem is Remove Doubles does exactly that.  It
> removed the point it considers to be a "double" based on the distance limit
> but leaves the "first" point exactly where it started.  (I suspect the
> "first" point has a lower vertex index number then the "doubles".)  This can
> actually be desirable for the original poster's problem of stitching
> together walls if he can control which side of the wall has the lower vertex
> indices.  However, sometimes one wants both points to move to the center of
> where they were before the merge like in the case of stitching together two
> mirrored halves which might not be meeting exactly at some axis = 0.
>
> phong.

Remove Doubles does not work at all well for 2 half spheres even with identical
verts unless the Limits are set very accurately to very slightly greater than
the distance between the 2 halves and less than the distance between the
circumferential verts.
For head models which have large number of circumferential verts this can cause
distortion.
Roger