[Bf-funboard] Blender - Alt M

Roger hovergo at net-tech.com.au
Wed Jan 7 01:17:42 CET 2009

Tony Mullen wrote:
>> I have no idea how Blender picks which of the points to delete
>
> It picks them based on proximity. You set the maximum distance in the
> Limit field next to the Rem Doubles button.
>
> I don't fully understand most of the workarounds proposed here to
> Roger's initial suggestion, and I don't see how this issue could be
> addressed using proximity-based merging. But the suggestion itself is
> a good one and it seems to be obvious missing functionality. Blender
> already has an "at first" and "at last" option when merging two
> vertices. It does not have an "at first" or "at last" when merging
> more than two vertices, and it would be useful it it did. Of course
> there are workarounds involving snapping with the 3D cursor, but these
> are all extra steps and it seems most sensible simply to have merging
> work the same with 2+ verts as it works with 2 verts.

<Mesh Tools><Remove Doubles> works if the proximity is set accordingly high.
It does not remove the join and make the object into one piece.
Take 2 cubes joined and close together, so 4 verts of each are in proximity say
0.2 blender unit apart.
Rem Doubles works if the Limit (proximity)  is 0.21 or slightly larger than the
distance between.
I guess this would work for any distance up to the maximim of the Limitprovided
the Limit is suitably set.

Its all extra work when simple selection of verts and merge would speed the process.
TIA
Roger