[Bf-funboard] Protocol: How Threading Works

Kamal kamaleshwar.morjal at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 08:26:02 CET 2009

Tony Mullen wrote:
>> Please, please, PLEASE don't start new threads (e-mails), but use the

[snip]

> This comment seemed to be directed at me. I get these mails in a
> digest which may contain multiple thread topics in a single mail, so
> I'm not sure how using reply is supposed to automatically organize
> threading. I assumed threading was based on the subject line, which I
> thought I had cut and pasted from other messages.

I guess its not just the subject line, it depends on the mail's headers.
So, just to add to the point, if one wishes to _start_ a new thread/topic
please *dont* use the Reply button, create a new mail, or else your new
topic might get lost in some other threaded conversation for those
who have threaded view set in their mail clients.

However, not sure how to keep it going in the same thread with
the digest mode.

Probably go to the archives and reply to that particular mail
from there?

> My own pet peeve happens to be when people press the reply button in
> their client and send duplicates of the entire previous mail thread
> with every single message.
>
> If people must use reply, then I'd ask that they please remember to
> first delete the contents of the mail that they won't be responding to
> directly.

Agreed, parts of the mails one is not addressing to are better removed
from replies.

KM