[Bf-funboard] Mouse versus hot keys

joe joeedh at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 20:01:32 CET 2009

Oh I get it.  You're saying that students beginning now will not being
using mice when they finish school, in which case they won't be able
to get everything out of blender?  It's an interesting point.  Though
like I said, I highly doubt any of the major packages will support
tablets well, in the foreseeable future (certainly not maya, given
their track record, which is what most students use in school).

The problem with this argument, is that students won't be
learning/using 3d packages that way, since none of them work very well
exclusively with a tablet.  They have to use a keyboard to be
efficient in any major 3d comprehensive package (except for maya,
which is probably customizable enough people can rework the UI, though
it'd probably still be a pain).  Besides, I'm not convinced tablets
are better for everything.  Point and click is very pretty, but doing
it so it doesn't slow you down can be difficult, especially in
something as complex as a comprehensive 3d package.

Joe