[Bf-funboard] A Proposal for Blender Interface Creation, Editing and Configuration

Roland Hess rolandh at reed-witting.com
Mon Feb 2 14:16:24 CET 2009

Here's the proposal I mentioned in the previous message to this list.
Originally posted at http://www.harkyman.com

While I can’t be at the upcoming development sprint (which,
realistically, it’s not like I should be — when it comes to coding, I’m
a hack AT BEST), I did want to write something up about a few ideas for
working with the interface that have weighed on me for the past year or
so. With one exception at the end, this isn’t about how the user
interacts with Blender. I’ll leave that up to better minds than my own.
But, when it comes to how that interface is created — the actual tools
that are used — I’d like to pitch in my 2 cents.

AN INTERFACE EDITOR
Right now, the one and only way to edit/change/test/configure the
Blender interface is through c coding. That’s a huge problem. Let’s call
the set of all people who can code in c “Group C”. Let’s call all people
who are good at interface design “Group I”. The overlap between Group C
and Group I is dwindlingly tiny. Very tiny. Most likely just a few
people. Restricting the job of interface work to the C/I overlap is a
huge mistake. Why not put in some more work up front, and give access to
the entire Group I? I’m proposing that Blender’s interface (and by this
I mean buttons, panels, header elements, panel elements, etc., not such
things as Click-n-Hold vs. modal click) be configurable directly from
within the application, and that any configurations that are created be
savable to an external file, much like Themes are saved into Python
files currently.

DESIGNING THE INTERFACE WITHIN THE APPLICATION
At the moment, a user can change the “rt” value and play around with
button configurations. That’s nice for making screen shots, but very
limited. Best would be a system in which all interface elements (colors,
panels, button contexts, menus) are changable by the user, along with
some nice examiner and informational panels a la an IDE. Call it an IDE
for Blender’s widgets. At any point, the current state of all controls
could be dumped to a Python file. In fact, Blender’s base configuration
would be converted (one time!) to such a format, and that base file
would be loaded at runtime to configure the default interface. Elements
could also be exported and imported on a modular basis.

This would not only be great for users, but for developers as well. If
you code a new feature or module, the last thing you want to have to
worry about is digging through the interface code, doing the math for
buttons, etc. You build your feature, properly code it’s DNA and RNA,
compile and run. Switch into “interface edit” mode, create a new panel
in the proper buttons context, add/configure/arrange widgets and link
them to proper RNA right in Blender. Bind key commands to the operators
you’ve written. When you’ve got it as you like it — export the new panel
and bindings either as a simple module that anyone can import to try
(sort of like a patch), or just save your entire configuration as a new
default. When it comes time to commit your feature/module/etc., the
interface code exports and patches right in to the trunk version of the
interface configurator.

 From a user standpoint, one could configure tools, menus, and pop-ups
to suit their workflow — even creating toolboxes or toolbars with their
favorite widgets. They would be easily sharable with others, and if
useful enough could be included in future releases.

A scheme like this really continues and extends the promise to the
artistic community that Blender has already begun. To the artistic
community, Blender says: “Here’s a great tool, at no cost to you.” And
now, this great tool can be customized by you without any special
knowledge. But even better than that, you as an artist get the potential
to benefit from the entire community of Group I, not just the C/I
coincidence.

Will people do stoopid things to their Blender interface? Of course.
Will this take the onus away from Blender’s development team to make the
interface as good as it can be? Of course not. I think that such a
system, though, would drastically improve the interface in short order.
You’re reducing the testing and experimentation cycle to virtually zero
time. It’s instant feedback, and almost no effort to game something
differently and give it a try. Our interface people will be
significantly more productive with such a system.

PREFERRED TOOL
Apart from my system-level suggestion above, I do have one specific idea
that’s nagged at me for a while. It’s a “preferred tool” designator.
When working in the 3D view (which comprises a vast majority of the
time) Blender artists are confronted with a number of pop-up menus:
Specials, Merge, Mirror, Edge, etc. While it’s fairly simple to, say,
press the W-key followed by a number to select an option, I’ve found
that in my own work, I tend to use tools in clusters. While I’m
performing a certain portion of the modeling pipeline, I might use
Subdivide a number of times in a row. What would be fantastic would be
to structure those sorts of pop-ups to allow for the on-the-fly
designation of a “preferred tool.” Then, instead of repeatedly pressing
W, then 1 (or just using the mouse to choose it), you hit the menu key
(W) with a modifier (like Ctrl) and it just activates the preferred
tool. Done with that part of your work and moving on to something else?
Set a different preferred tool. You could also include secondary and
tertiary tools (Alt, and Ctrl-Alt?). This way, Blender works the way
that you want it to — losing nothing in the process. All of the options
are still there, but you can easily bend Blender to the specific task
you are doing, on the fly.

SUMMARY
While I have great faith in rest of the development team to come up with
good solutions for the road ahead, I wanted to place a vote for ultimate
configurability. A system that lets interface design and configuration
take place directly in the application workspace would not only benefit
users in the long run, but have immediate benefits for the developers
themselves.

The sort of sharability and openness that we already enjoy with BLEND
files and artistry could be extended even further, and we would all come
out ahead.

--
Roland Hess
harkyman