[Bf-funboard] Saving default user prefs

Tony Mullen tony.mullen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 16:24:16 CET 2009

Hi,

I think that this has been discussed before in the past, but with
Blender 2.5 out I think it's timely. Please let me know if the
functionality I'm describing is already in place, but it doesn't seem
to be, which I think would be a missed opportunity.

Basically, I would very much like to be able to set and save user
preference values as defaults without having to save the whole current
state of the blend as a default. The current way of doing things in
Blender is valuable and worth hanging on to as an option, but there
should also be another option for *only* saving values that were
specifically set in User Prefs.

There are plenty of use case examples for why this is needed, but one
that comes up for me literally several times a week is when I am
working with students and I want to set some preference on their
installation (such as emulate numpad) while they are in the middle of
a project. The current hassles involved in doing this mean that mostly
I don't set the value as a default on students' machines, so I have to
keep telling them to reset it over and over again. There are of course
many other occasions when people want to change preferences while
working on something.

The new User Prefs separate window seems to suggest that this is how
it should work, so it's a bit surprising to go into User Prefs, change
values, and set them as defaults only to find that things totally
unrelated to User Prefs have also been set as defaults.