[Bf-funboard] Feature proposal

Roland Hess rolandh at reed-witting.com
Mon Apr 6 14:04:34 CEST 2009

This is something that I've actually spent a lot of time thinking about,
researching and even developing in my past work on BlenderPeople.

What most systems like this do is not so much to blend between different
pre-built walk-cycles, as to paramaterize the process. The walking
motion is generated via algorithm, based on the parameters set in the
control panel. You get real-time feedback in the preview window. Of
course, this means that the walk system only works with a single
armature -- the parameter system and algorithms are developed around it.
It really is great for:

- Quickly creating lots of walking characters;
- Creating a basis for hero character motion. You want a system that can
generate decent walks, then bake that into live animation data that you
can tweak or build on for hero-level animation.

This IS possible in Blender, but I think we would be better served to
create a slightly more flexible system that won't tie animators to a
single "approved" armature. Ideally, we want to have a system where you
can simply point to your armature and designate which bones are the
controls for feet, hands, pelvis, hips, etc.; set your walk parameters
with an interactive preview; key your armature along the course you want
the character to walk; then have it create the walk. This is do-able,
and as it's a kind of mini-application, it should really be a script.

Although I hate the term script for such things. It makes them seem
rinky-dink, when in fact they aren't. Why not let's start calling stuff
like this a "Plug In"?

Roland
harkyman