[Bf-funboard] default file

Benjamin Tolputt btolputt at bigpond.net.au
Wed Oct 22 22:57:45 CEST 2008

Sangwoo Hong wrote:
> So please, let's bring this discussion back on track to the issue at
> hand which isn't about stepping on current user's toes but making it
> easier to get more current users.  And please don't argue that if
> things change to make it easier for new folks it will be stepping on
> current users toes.  As I've pointed out what ever is being proposed
> does not, should not, and ultimately will not effect your current
> working process because we're not talking about taking away anything.

Absolutely true. However, the issue will still be in the area of
documentation. Currently the best way to learn Blender is to (a) buy one
of the books or (b) read online tutorials. Both of these avenues
stipulate the existing methods for selection, shortcut keys, etc. I have
a feeling that the user interface refactor will require a completely new
set of documentation anyway, but it's not likely this has been a major
consideration yet (after all, the refactor is a ways off yet).

> That said, I was under the impression that the "Left Mouse"/"Right
> Mouse" buttons were a toggle which swapped the mouse button binding so
> things work the other way around if it's set differently.  If indeed
> this is not the case then by all means that is what needs to be
> rectified so that the choice is a true toggle so both ways of working
> can be preserved as is.

Actually, no - currently using the toggle swaps SOME of the
functionality but leaves others. Depending on the tool and/or keyboard
modifiers used, swapping the buttons may (or may not) work correctly.
This has been a bug for some time, but not a high priority one (I'm
guessing because it only affects those of us who dislike the standard
mouse button mapping *shrug*)

> Again, we're not talking about a zero sum game here.  Blender is
> flexible enough to cater to both parties.  All I'm saying is that even
> though driving stick is obviously sexier, there are more cars on the
> road with automatic transmissions because it makes the automobile more
> useful to more people.  So let's give the new folks automatic
> transmission to begin with so they don't stall on the freeway and buy
> another car...

One hundred percent agree. My guess on the issue is that open source
developers have personal motivation for developing Blender. They find
the current way the most comfortable and/or the best way to use Blender,
in my opinion, because they've used it that way for years. More
importantly, because of the "benevolent dictator" control of the project
- submitting a patch to change the defaults will not be accepted.

Depending on how indepth the 2.50 refactoring is, I'm guessing the best
way to get this ball rolling is to wait until 2.50 allows us to refactor
the user interface controls ourselves (i.e. ourside the official
development tree) and put the settings/defaults file online elsewhere
along with relevant documentation. A "Beginner's Blender" site if you will.

--
Regards,

Benjamin Tolputt
Analyst Programmer
Email: btolputt at bigpond.net.au

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential to the
intended recipient and may be privileged. If you have received this
email inadvertently or you are not the intended recipient, you may not
disseminate, distribute, copy or in any way rely on it. Further, you
should notify the sender immediately and delete the email from your
computer. Whilst we have taken precautions to alert us to the presence
of computer viruses, we cannot guarantee that this email and any files
transmitted with it are free from such viruses.