[Bf-funboard] default file

Karl Kühberger karl.kuehberger at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 10:36:23 CEST 2008

Hi Roger,

probably the difference is more like between right- and
left-steering cars - car-drivers from various islands (big
and little ones) may think right-steering is revolutionary ;-)

regarding to the file-selector I agree with you, even there
are features in the dialogue-boxes of osx, linux and windows
which are quite helpful, like:

- jumping to an item by pressing the initial letter
- columns mode
- search function
- back- and forward-buttons (not only the cryptic "P")

maybe the best would be further using the blender file-dialogues,
but improve it, build in some functions known from "standard" dialogues
and let the layout look more "standard"-conform.

blender has indeed many distinctive methods and some of them are
really helpful in terms of ergonomy and fast workflow.
but why not making blender better using more stuff like double-click,
context-menues and drag&drop?
why not put materials or textures to objects from a
material/texture-editor (or outliner with previews)?
why use the cryptic "fake user" instead of just keep all
materials/textures and allow the user to
delete materials/textures in a material/texture editor (with the
additional feature of deleting all unused materials/textues)?
the second example shows that blender sometimes forces to think the
user of things which should not be necessary.
another example is the missing "save, cancel or discard" question after ctrl-q.
or why not integrate a save button in the render-window?
these are only a few examples where blender could be more intuitive AND faster.
I agree that blender should not get rid of all its really fantastic
concepts, like the non-overlapping windows and others,
but it also should be open for other concepts, because some of theme
are excellent. blender could use the best of
both.

Karl