[Bf-funboard] default file

Nathan Letwory jesterking at letwory.net
Tue Oct 21 10:03:05 CEST 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 10:47 AM, Carsten Wartmann <cw at blenderbuch.de> wrote:
> Sangwoo Hong schrieb:
>> Here is a list of stuff I came across as the most distressful thing for
>> the several new Blender users to figure out.
>
> As old style blender user I am of course against all ;-)
>
>> -Left Mouse vs Right Mouse Button to select.  Defaulting to Left Mouse
>> Button would make it easier for new folks.
>
> There is a concept behind this right select. Maybe we are all faster as
> soon we are used to it? The right mouse is nearly completely useless in
> other applications, a context menu? Wow...
>
>> Defaulting to "View Aligned" being on was another one confusing the new
>> folks but I noticed it's been changed in the latest release.
>
> As soon as you know how to navigate in a 3d scene you will want the
> aligned view back. I think 2/3rd of all aligned new objects need to be
> rotated in the end but when I *think* before creating a new object and
> doing it in the right view it is 2/3rd of the time correctly oriented.

To add to the discussion, here's a personal opinion: I think that we
should cater for the pro users we already have, since it really isn't
too hard to get accostumed to the Blender way of working. In the end,
even new users will likely set most of the current defaults that are
being woed over to being their defaults.

I think that Blender should not too much give reason to be lazy to the
user, as in the end most of the 'quirks' will deliver fast workflow
anyway.

I think Carsten's context menu example is a great one to begin with.

Naturally, we otherwise should look for ways to get things work even
better. But thinking about the New User alone is IMO not the way to
go.

/Nathan