[Bf-funboard] default file

Roger hovergo at net-tech.com.au
Tue Oct 21 00:50:01 CEST 2008

This, I feel is the key to the whole problem.

<snip>
Given the lack of clear concise "tutorial-like" documentation delivered
with the Blender installation,
</snip>

The BlenderQuickStart.pdf apart from being very hard to read is, by perception,
out of date at ver 2.41 even though most things are the same.
My first thought on attempting to learn from it was  " But I'm not using 2.41"
Last week I started on a revised QuickStart.pdf which is a series of Belnder
screenshots with minimal explanation.
It has promise and needs some rethinking.
When it's at a stage of acceptability I'll put it up somewhere so that we can
all input and refine.

anyway.
 From the perspective of not changing the default in any way, what does a new
user need to know?

Part 1.
1. What am I looking at when Blender starts?
2. What is this square and why is it outlined in pink?
3. What do I do now?
4. Explain about the grid. If an object is too big the grid, lights and camera
disappear. Explanation's of maximum finished size of the scene

Part 2.
1. Hold down the mouse wheel / middle mouse button and drag the mouse, what
happens = the view changes and now th square pink object is a cube and is in
Plan view = looking at the top of the object.
2. Press <A> key. The pink outline disappears.
3. Click on th object with Right Mouse Button, the outline reappears.
4. Press <Tab>  to enter EDIT mode. All verts are highlighted in Yellow.
5. Right click on a vert. All others deslect and the clicked vert is selected
drag with Left mouse button.

Part 3.
1. Extrude a vert, face, edge.
2. etc

Part 4.
1. Numpad 7, 1 and 3  explanation.

Part 5.
1. explain the 3D cursor
2. Add an object at the cursor
3. explain about having a previous object selected when adding which parents the
added object to the previous object.
4.

Anyway these are how I would see the changeover tutorial that would permit
Blender to remain as-is but make an easy transition from other applications.

Maybe a few of us could get together and devise a quick clean very basic intro
tutorial that would replace the QuickStart.pdf

Help appreciated
Roger