[Bf-funboard] default file

Sangwoo Hong sahngwoo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 22:04:39 CEST 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 12:00 PM, Jason van Gumster <flaw at misaligned.net>wrote:

> Perhaps not this one. Changing this default makes quite a few online
> tutorials very disorienting for new users.

I was just firing up a new install of Maya at work just now and I noticed
that there are links to some beginner tutorials and such on the splash
screen.(I haven't seen this in a while since I have these screens set to not
show up way back when I the last version was installed.)  Perhaps Early is
right about something coming up at the beginning as Blender boots up which
points out stuff like this.

Having a toggle button which makes the default file default to this or that
default file when a user runs Blender for the first time will probably work
too.  You know, say like "if you're using Blender for the first time then
you should probably use the new user defaults" or some such thing.

Or don't even ask that.  Just ask if this is your first time using Blender
and if they say yes default it to the "beginner friendly" default file.  I
mean, that is the beauty of Blender's UI isn't it?  It doesn't have to
default to just one thing.

phong