[Bf-funboard] default file

Roland Hess rolandh at reed-witting.com
Mon Oct 20 13:53:51 CEST 2008

Hi guys -- Even though there isn't any support amongst developers for a
true "beginners" version of Blender, there are certainly screen layouts
and defaults that would be better suited to new users (and a separate
configuration for migrating users) than the current "one size fits all"
default file.

If interested users like the ones here can come up with several default
files that everyone (including core devs) can agree are significantly
better suited to those situations, there's no reason that the installer
couldn't ask the installee if they'd like the "beginners" configuration
(or the "transition" config, etc.), or if they'd just like good old
plain vanilla Blender.

There ARE inherent problems with such a system, though, especially for
new users. The configuration would be have to not be so radically
different that all of the tutorial materials, both free and $, still
works out of the box. The worst thing would be to come up with a config
that breaks newbie tutorials!

Things to think about.

--
Roland Hess