[Bf-funboard] Default file changes?

Sangwoo Hong sahngwoo at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 19:39:02 CEST 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 8:26 PM, jonathan ferguson <jdpf at edumetrics.org>wrote:

> Finally, to further argue that the Default File not be changed for
> mouse buttons: placing selection and other actions on a "non-standard"
> button accomplishes a very important thing: It teaches new users to
> *select with care.*

I think the argument above strikes at the heart of the discussion we're
having here.  The question being, "Which is more important?  Retention rates
of potential new users or, ironically, familiarity for current users who
admittedly have made the effort to switch to Blender's way of doing things
by default and have reaped the benefits".

Well, I for one think that retention rates for potential new users out
weights current user familiarity, not because I think new users are more
important but because current users are familiar enough to have the option
of using their software the way they are used to but potential new users
don't have that luxury.  And not having that luxury they become confused and
more often then not choose to not join our community, and may even become
hostile, which any way one looks at it would be an unfortunate thing for
everyone involved.

That said, I think it's pointless to argue about whether this or that mouse
button is the "default" because after it's been set once and the default
files have been saved we never need to look at it again so current users who
have their "defaults" set to the way Blender works now won't even notice if
the "defaults" for future release are changed.  Let me explain.  Basically,
I have my "defaults" set to choose with left mouse button, camera with
turntable controls, 3D view in 3/4 perspective, etc.  And since I'm using
installers to install it, when I install the latest version of Blender as I
did yesterday it opens to my own default file so when I open Blender after
an install nothing have changed for me other then new options being
available in different menus.  Since I can't imagine the UI options we're
talking about here will ever disappear in future releases, current users who
use the current "default" way shouldn't see their work flow change in anyway
either.

And that's not even taking in to account the number of current users who
don't have their "defaults" set to the "defaults"...

So, a singular change which shouldn't effect current users may help our
community grow in numbers.  Looking at it this way, I think it's probably a
good idea to make the small changes that will make Blender more welcoming to
those who, having become disappointed with the status quo just as we did,
are looking for a better way .  And, as you say, if "align to view" is
already turned off then perhaps going a step or two further won't be so bad.

phong.