[Bf-funboard] Default file changes?

Roger hovergo at net-tech.com.au
Tue Oct 14 00:41:50 CEST 2008

Sangwoo Hong wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> Recently, I got in to a rather heated argument in the XNA community forum
> where I had to defend Blender's UI against people who didn't even bother to
> give Blender a real try because they were too turned off by the rather blank
> slate state in which Blender first opens after it's been installed.  I have
> noticed this "criticism" before and have had to explain how I have my own
> defaults set differently then the default file as it ships.  While doing
> this it occurred to me that what confounded these potential users were very
> simple things which if the default file which ships with Blender was a
> little different would make it that much easier for users with experience
> with other 3D packages to get going with Blender.
>
> My question is if there would be any interested by the community and/or dev
> team to change this to make things a bit more palatable for new comers or if
> it should be left as is as a sort of right of passage or something?  The
> kind of changes to the default file I'm talking about are:
>
> -Default to "Turntable" for "View rotation" instead of "Trackball".
>
> -Default to "Left Mouse" for "Select with" instead of "Right Mouse".
>
> -Default to "Add new objects: <- Align to View" turned off.
>
> -Default the initial 3D view to a 3/4 perspective view instead of looking
> down the "z".
>

> Good?  No good?  Pointless?  What do you think?
>
> phong.

For transitional purposes from  another application or for a total newbie, yes I
agree with you.
A friend I was teaching Blender to, couldn't grasp simply dragging the view to
3/4 view or rotating with a mouse.
Once Blender is in ones consciousness it doesn't matter any more.
My daughter and her friends are so fast now working with the conventional
Blender interface that they are noticeably slower and disorientated in 3ds max
or other apps.
Roger