[Bf-funboard] Default file changes?

Sangwoo Hong sahngwoo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 23:19:54 CEST 2008

Hello everyone,
Recently, I got in to a rather heated argument in the XNA community forum
where I had to defend Blender's UI against people who didn't even bother to
give Blender a real try because they were too turned off by the rather blank
slate state in which Blender first opens after it's been installed.  I have
noticed this "criticism" before and have had to explain how I have my own
defaults set differently then the default file as it ships.  While doing
this it occurred to me that what confounded these potential users were very
simple things which if the default file which ships with Blender was a
little different would make it that much easier for users with experience
with other 3D packages to get going with Blender.

My question is if there would be any interested by the community and/or dev
team to change this to make things a bit more palatable for new comers or if
it should be left as is as a sort of right of passage or something?  The
kind of changes to the default file I'm talking about are:

-Default to "Turntable" for "View rotation" instead of "Trackball".

-Default to "Left Mouse" for "Select with" instead of "Right Mouse".

-Default to "Add new objects: <- Align to View" turned off.

-Default the initial 3D view to a 3/4 perspective view instead of looking
down the "z".

Good?  No good?  Pointless?  What do you think?

phong.