[Bf-funboard] custom/normal/etc view enhancement possibilities

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Thu May 29 22:08:25 CEST 2008

--- On Wed, 5/28/08, Matt Ebb <matt at mke3.net> wrote:

> The other thing with the panel is
> that it's not very discoverable at all, it's in a
> quite different part
> of the UI, under a heading that doesn't really make
> sense ('View' menu
> is about how things are displayed in the 3D view, it's
> not about
> editing).

Agreed, but I didn't feel it fit well into any of the other menus either, so I just picked the first one. :)

Suggestions for better placement welcomed.

> It would be nice/better if, at the top of the header menu
> (that
> contains local, global, view, etc) there was a separator
> and then
> additional options there to add or clear all orientations.
> That way
> you wouldn't have to use the panel, and it would be a
> more logically
> accessible.
>
> It would be something like
>
> Add New
> -------------
> View
> Local
> Global
>

> or if you have an orientation already set up:
>
> Add New
> Clear Custom
> -------------------
> MyCustomOne
> -------------------
> View
> Local
> Global

Attached is a patch that does that (Clear All always visible though, also, separators look like crap so I only used one).

You can try and tell me how you like it.

> > >From the header menu:
> > Object -> Transform -> Align to Transform
> Orientation  (Ctrl-Alt-A)
> >
> > It's in the 2.46 release logs, at the very bottom:
> "Align to Transform Orientation"
>
> What I would also like is 'Apply Transform
> Orientation'  - similar to
> Ctrl A, but baking the object's axes to the transform
> space, not
> global space. There is the 'Axis Orientation Copy'
> script that kinda
> does the same thing, but it's very limited, and of
> course not
> integrated nicely with the other transform options,
> especially in the
> UI.

In concept, that is easy, but how should it deal with scaling?

Uniform scaling could be preserved, but not non-uniformed scaling.

> And as one final request (though I have no idea how it
> should be
> implemented - any ideas?) It's really like to be able
> to rotate a
> transform orientation - like rotating the manipulator.
>
> It's quite often that I'll select a group of faces
> with the 'normal'
> manipulator on, and while the Z axis is pointing nicely
> along the
> normal, the X and Y axes are kinda arbitrary and not lining
> up with
> anything useful in the selection. It'd be really cool
> to be able to
> then rotate that manipulator around its the Z axis so the X
> and Y axes
> are pointing in useful directions, which I can then use. I
> know this
> sounds pretty obscure and maybe not worth the trouble, but
> some way to
> do this would have been useful for me a number of times.

That's a bit technically harder, but a nice challenge to do (I think it could be done through the transform engine, through a somewhat dirty trick).

Martin