[Bf-funboard] custom/normal/etc view enhancement possibilities

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Wed May 28 22:41:55 CEST 2008

--- On Wed, 5/28/08, Bassam Kurdali <bkurdali at freefactory.org> wrote:

> First of all, huge thanks to Theeth for custom alignment.
> This has had a big benefit for modeling and rigging (for me
> personally)
> and of course, some wishes/suggestions for discussion:

I'm very glad someone found that useful. :)

> * we can do object/edge/face/vertex. would be nice to have
> bone too :)

Shouldn't be too hard, if Normal Alignement is supported, it can be made into a CTO. Pose and Edit bone I guess?

> * would be nice to do some other operations sometimes (not
> essential)-
> 	* like aligning view to custom orientation x y or z,

That shouldn't be too hard either.

Would we also want the reverse operation? (View orientation to CTO)

> 	* or even "clearing" rotation to match the custom alignment.

Not sure if that's what you mean, but there's this:

>From the header menu:
Object -> Transform -> Align to Transform Orientation  (Ctrl-Alt-A)

It's in the 2.46 release logs, at the very bottom: "Align to Transform Orientation"

> Neither of these seem like a big deal, but it would be
> interesting to see a discussion on taking this feature even
> further.

Yes, please discuss away, I'd really like to hear how people are using it and what could be done to make it even more useful.

regards,
Martin