[Bf-funboard] Apricot Feature Request List (condensed)

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Thu Mar 13 12:33:16 CET 2008

From: "Campbell Barton" <ideasman42 at gmail.com>
> http://apricot.blender.org/?page_id=14

i'm curious about the exact needs for "user defined objects" (first list
item :)

-- when we've talked about it earlier (at least with Genjix) and from
what I have encountered so far in our own work, basically
functionalitywise the current empties cover the need *apart from the
typing & looks*, i mean that marking locations and rotations with added
information suffices. so the additional need has been to nicely have
different types of such markers, and that could be achieved with e.g.
empty (draw)types or some such solution..?

so am wondering if there is some need that i'm not aware of, that would
need user defined / custom objects in the sense that they would be
actual new blender object types - that blender internally would handle
somehow specially, that would perhaps have some special behaviour etc.

or would kind of 'subtypes' of empties, that are basically just empties
to the blender core, still suffice. just that they would be drawn based
on that marker type, and the exporter would handle them and their data
specific to the 'subtype'.

early on when i started looking into Blender from a Python library
perspective i was of course fancying a model where you could just
subclass Blender.Object and define custom anything for your own Blender
object types, but that was for fun & curiousity, is far from trivial
with the architecture, and i don't know any actual uses for it yet :)

> - Campbell

~Toni