[Bf-funboard] Snap Menu Order

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 7 00:46:39 CET 2008

--- Stephen Swaney <sswaney at centurytel.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 02:17:52PM +0100, Campbell
> Barton wrote:
> > I find the existing layout confusing, Confusing
> enough that I need to
> > read the menu, think about it, and sometimes I
> select the wrong one.
>
> I suspect this has more to do with your dyslexia.
>
> My point is that you are changing the hotkeys for
> the snap functions,
> something commonly used.  It is not a muscle-memory
> issue in that if
> you need to read the menu to see what to click, you
> need to read the
> menu.  If you use Shift-S-numberkey to snap, you do
> not 'see' the menu
> at all.

Agreed, however, after the first four options, others
were simply tacked on at the end without much ordering
though.

IMHO, Campbell's mockup (1) isn't so bad, if it would
use the following order instead, keeping the (IMHO)
most used options the same, I'd say that's a win:

Selection -> Grid
Selection -> Cursor
Selection -> Center
Cursor -> Selection
Cursor -> Grid
Cursor -> Active

Options 1, 2 and 4 match with the current order and
the grouping is more logical.

[1]
https://projects.blender.org/tracker/download.php/9/125/8241/5384/Disorder%20in%20Snap%20menu%20%5BJS%5D.png

Martin