[Bf-funboard] Blender Gui for 2.5

Jean-Luc Peurière jlp at nerim.net
Mon Mar 3 16:55:12 CET 2008

Le 3 mars 08 à 16:04, Gustav Göransson a écrit :
> Maybe a little off-topic, but how much gui-redesign work are
> planned for
> 2.5 anyway? Are we talking minor changes or a total redesign? Maybe
> there is a need for a "special" gui-team who collect ideas and
> standpoints from community, like the one gimp have ( http://
> gui.gimp.org
> ). Just mention this because I think any gui-rework needs to be
> carefully planned and well-thought out (not say this isn't the case
> with
> blender =). I'm sure that i am not the only one who has ideas and
> suggestions to improve the GUI and it would if we could collect all
> the
> ideas in one place =)

As we are doing brain surgery to the core event-system, the redesign
work is essentially up to what we want. All tools and interfaces will
have to
be rewritten in any case.

one goal is to be able to get blender behave the same as before, but
new interface  methods can be added and/or changed easily afterwards.

I have put some design ideas (both UI & code) here :
http://jlp.nerim.net/dev/event%20system/

Those are my take on this and subject to discussion. I could do
especially
with comments on the blender-UI-proposal document (which at this point
is not much more than an analysis of the state of things).

However, having a strong proposal describing the rules and guidelines of
the new GUI is essential.

Graphic style can be researched more or less independantly but here
again, we can (and should) start from a fresh blank plate, especially
for the icons.

Note that the code design part is outdated, as Ton implemented things
a bit
differently while keeping the global idea.

--
Jean-Luc Peurière
jlp at nerim.net