[Bf-funboard] usability improvements and a feature

Bassam Kurdali bkurdali at freefactory.org
Fri Jun 13 18:53:54 CEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 11:40 -0500, Oscar Dario Franco Galeano wrote:
> I'd like to see some usability improvements in blender:
>
> 1. When I have several objects or bones selected, I'd like to block
> the transformation properties (from the Transform Properties Window -
> N) to all of them, not just the last I selected
> It becomes annoying having to select one by one of the objects I need
> to change this properties.
ctrl-c copies attributes (from a menu) from active to selected; change
one, box select the rest, then ctrl-c and you're there.

> 2. Keyboard Shortcuts to bone layers
hmm, on my laptop keyboard I even lost normal layer shortcuts- the only
way I see is have an (optional?) mode switch, where the layer shortcuts
refer to armature layers when an armature in pose or edit mode is
selected.

> 3. an alternate way to input the name of a bone in a constraint panel
> (When there are too many bones Ctrl + C - Ctrl + V gets tiresome)
> maybe drag & Drop? or a list like the one for selecting parent from
> edit mode
well, the fasted way is selecting the target, then the bone and doing
ctrl-alt-c, which autmatically adds the target

> 4. autocompletion in the text fields
type a few letters and press tab.

> 5. When editing bones with X-Axis Mirror activated, If I add a bone
> via the space bar on one side, it doesn't duplicate at the other
could be interesting, but to be honest I'm not quite sure I want this-
mirrored reparenting would be cool though.

> 6. I'd like to add specific camera IPOs without need of a driver, like
> lens change
not sure, more explanation please?

> 7. This one is more a feature than an usability improvement: I'd like
> blender to have the capacity of rendering the transition between
> orthographic and perspective projection via IPO curves, like in Super
> Paper Mario for Wii.
you can "sorta" do it by animating the lense of a perspective camera,
however, this doesn't become exactly ortho...come to think of it, if you
need to do this effect I have no idea how you even could in current
blender.