[Bf-funboard] Eular rotation vs Quarternion rotation

Stefan Andersson sanders3d at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 21:02:54 CET 2008

Exactly where do you get this "Eulers won't work for character
animation."??? it baffles me that you would make such a statement. I
need a example of this where it doesn't work.
First of all, all major animation packages (not just maya) uses Euler
rotations. Reason being that it's easy for the animator to control,
with the hurdle that you need to watch out for gimbal lock, but you
rather have that "threat" hanging over you than working with Quat
rotations.

Secondly, maya users complain about maya because it lacks logic and
its buggy for being a software that costs $$$$.

Thirdly, I'm not arrogant to say that programmers like Quats more than
Eulers. Would you or would you not agree that a programmer would think
that Quats are a "nicer implementation or a mathematical problem".
Gimbal Lock is virtualy gone with Quats... yes.. but to what price??
it IS a programmers solution to the problem, and the animator still
choses Eulers over Quats. And if your animators were screaming about
Gimbal Locks, they should have been talking to their TD instead of
screaming in mid-air.

I think it's needed that we get Euler rotations in Blender, and if I
wanted workarounds... well... I would use Maya at home as well :)

regards
stefan andersson