[Bf-funboard] time for edge goups ?

Bassam Kurdali bkurdali at freefactory.org
Tue Feb 12 23:28:38 CET 2008

  Hey all, it seems we're starting to get quite a few special purpose
edge groups, and I wonder if some cleanliness might be gained by having
simple edge groups that can be used multipurpose, much like vertex
groups.

We currently have:

-sharp/unsharp edges
-seams/not seam edges
-edge creases which are similar in a way to vgroups with weight

  and we might be getting a bevel modifier; if we do get edge beveling
as a modifier, it would be highly desirable to make it act on specific
groups, further, it would be nice to have some "weight" to how much
beveling per edge... so do we:

-overload one of the above types of edge marking with functionality for
bevel
-add a new type of hardcoded edge groups "bevel edges"
-make bevel unable to act on edge selections, or use the slightly non
optimal vertex selections

or

-make edge groups generic like vgroups, and use names to refer to them?

(you can see which I lean towards ;) ) anyway, seemed like a good
funboard topic, especially since 2.5 is coming up soon..

Cheers
Bassam