[Bf-funboard] Suggestion: Mesh nodes

bassam bkurdali at freefactory.org
Sun Dec 28 01:58:45 CET 2008

yeah, the multimodifier provides limited 'node' type functionality on
the stack, but it is only a kludge for a specific case (mixing armature
and mesh deform modifiers) and not really a good general solution for
many reasons; it only works with the armature modifier and mixing with
some limited modifiers (I believe only mesh deform and perhaps lattice)
but doesn't communicate this well in the interface. it only
'destakifies' one level deep, and again, does not communicate this well
in the interface.

modifier nodes would be extremely useful addition to blender as an
animation tool, but I agree that 2.5 targets have to be limited to make
it possible to get a release in less than 5 years ;)

one possible enhancement that does not involve full modifier nodes would
be a mockup to make multimodifier more 'transparent', for instance, by
highlighting the modifier it mixes with, drawing it with a bounding box,
or something like that, and also  providing feedback for those modifiers
it doesn't work with, etc.