[Bf-funboard] Suggestion: Mesh nodes

Tim Suess draknoid at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 00:19:54 CET 2008

It looks like this sort of system has been looked at and rejected.

If you have a look at the focus page ( see here:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/Blender2.5/Focus )

*Not targets (at all)*

   - Redesign Blender's internal DataBase or data handling.
   - A complete new updated animation system
   - The Render-export API
   - *Making everything Nodes, Node-tool trees, or Node-Modifier trees. *
   - Allowing Blender to become configured like Maya, 3D Max, etc. You can
   try of course, but our focus remains on Blender artists, and giving them the
   best 3D tool possible.

But you never know, this is just the focus for 2.5. Although i do get the
feeling that this idea was completely rejected.

not to burst your bubble or anything.

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 10:13 AM, Michael Crawford <psyborgue at mac.com>wrote:

> In Maya, nodes can be used for everything, not just shading.  It would
> be great if in blender, modifiers could become node-based.  At the
> beginning and end of the graph there would be a "mesh in" node with
> one output per shape key (perhaps some for v.groups) and one "mesh
> out" node with similar connections.  In between, users could be free
> to add as many modifiers as they want, even blending between results
> using, for example, an average or "blender" node.
>
> The advantage of this is it would get rid of the limitations of a
> linear modification stack. Even with multi-modifiers, it's not nearly
> as clear or as user friendly as a node based system.
>
> In addition, it would also be nice if node attributes were animate-able.

"...television in the main is being used to distract, delude, amuse and
insulate us..." --  An excerpt of EDWARD R. MURROW's speech on the hidden
agenda of TV.

http://gustavthemushroom.deviantart.com. (My art site/portfolio)