[Bf-funboard] one armature to rule them all ..

Alex Fraser spam at phatcore.com
Sat Apr 19 02:51:00 CEST 2008

On 4/19/08, Sangwoo Hong <sahngwoo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Character Studio Bipeds for 3DS Max are able to "retarget" animations
> between different bipeds even if their sizes are different and have
> different number of joints per limb.  It won't be a easy task to create
> something like this from scratch though...

My first thought was that CS can do this because its rigs contain more
information (like mass) than Blender's armatures. However, it looks
like it can be done by adding constraints, a bit like IK, to define
how you want to modify the poses. Here's a promising paper on the
subject:
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/graphics/Papers/Gleicher/California/retarget-preprint.pdf