[Bf-funboard] Render frame ranges/filenames

Robert Wenzlaff (AB8TD) rwenzlaff at soylent-green.com
Thu Apr 10 14:51:27 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 09 April 2008 13:36, Sangwoo Hong wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 3:10 AM, Doug Ollivier <doug at mudpuddle.co.nz> wrote:
> > ---- Idea 1
> >
> > Could the length be defined in the output pictures box in a format like
> > "directory/Name######" for power users?
>
> I can vouch for this method.  I use it in Combustion at work all the time
> and it's super easy.  In Combustion though you have to keep them in
> brackets like so.
>
> imagename[####].ext
>
> phong.

If we go the route of escape sequences in the file box, can we consider some
other sequences like [filename] and [scene] to add, too.  This way you could
setup the .b.blend defaults so different .blends don't overwrite each other's
output:

render/[filename]-[scene]-[#####], or

[filename]-[scene]-render/[#####]

Even if you start 2 .blends in the same directory, their output remains
different even if you forget to change the output box.

This is especially useful if you render to encoded files (.avi), as rendering
a single frame might wipe out hundreds of hours of rendering from a different
file or scene.

     Overheard at the Wenzlaff house:

 Connor: Let's play Robin Hood.
 Liam: Ok, I'll be the Taxi collector.