[Bf-funboard] Bf-funboard Digest, vol 44-3 renaming files

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 19:40:44 CEST 2008

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 6:23 PM, Stephen Swaney <sswaney at centurytel.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 01:20:57PM +0300, Toni Alatalo wrote:
>  >
>  > > Luckily for for final0001.dpx we used bash-fu to do the renaming for us.
>  > >
>  > > for i in final????.dpx; do j=`echo $i | sed 's/final/final0/g'`; mv
>  > > "$i" "$j"; done
>  > >
>  > i also had to do the same during Orange, wrote an equivalent renaming
>  > script in Python. was certainly nasty, so i guess it's a +1 from me.
>
>  Linux (or at least opensuse) has a rename command that does
>   rename from-pattern to-pattern file-mask.
>
>  The above example would be
>   rename final final0 final????.dpx

doubtless there are many renaming utlities, my point is we should not
have to use them, krename, gprename, and I have written some also, but
you shouldn't have to use them! :-)

for i in final????.dpx; do j=`echo $i | sed 's/final/final0/g'`; mv
"$i" "$j"; done

This works by getting every file with only 4 numbers and replacing the
prefix with a zero at the end. - Have had to use it twice today even.