[Bf-funboard] Named Layers Blender wiki page

Doug Ollivier doug at mudpuddle.co.nz
Sun Nov 11 03:42:57 CET 2007

> I agree.  "Tags" describe what the current setup does better then
> "sets".  Certainly better then "layers".  And they are by nature not
> mutually exclusive so there is no ambiguity in language.
 From a technical point tags may be correct.  but to a user what does it
mean?  Tags doesn't actually have any implicit meaning in its own right,
its a complete non-word.  Its like me saying "data"  lets just call them
data and be done with trying to add real meaning to names.

Just leave layers as they are, they are the closest naming that can take
advantage of transferable knowledge.  We already use Groups, and
Parent-Child relationships in ways that would confuse the average 2D
artist.  A group in Blender is not like a group in photoshop which would
be more comparible to a parent-child relationship.

I don't see why a layer needs to have exclusive content to still be
called a layer.

Doug.