[Bf-funboard] Named Layers

Sangwoo Hong sahngwoo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 21:53:31 CET 2007

On Nov 9, 2007 9:54 AM, David Bryant <aceone at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> People prefer certain packages because they like it's workflow. It fit's
> the way they work.

I don't know about you but I have never liked one package over another
because I prefer its "workflow" over another package.  How much of a
difference is there in "workflow" anyway?  Model, surface/UV, shade/paint,
rig, animate, light, render.  Buttons might be hidden in different places
but all 3D packages are practically the same, save for Houdini perhaps but
there its not so much different but a bit more flexible(?).

In the middle of all this of course is organization.  LOTS and LOTS of
organization, especially if one is going to work in a team environment.
When organizing things I've always used layers to denote things which are
meant to be separate from each other.  Now I find out that it's more of a
taxonomical system where objects can be belong to more then one
classification instead of an exclusive system.  Makes the situation more
ambiguous which I personally feel could be a problem when working in a team
environment, "Yeah, that button, it's in layers 1, 4, 7, 10, 15, & 19.  And
the arrows, 2, 5, 8..." etc, etc, but I guess if I ignore that functionality
in my work I'll never have to cross paths with it so c'est la vie.

phong