[Bf-funboard] Proper soft shadows in composer

Alex Fraser spam at phatcore.com
Sat Nov 3 03:34:27 CET 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 11:34 -0400, toontje at telbonet.an wrote:
> I would like to see the shadow pass Z-valued. Every pixel in the shadow
> area should have the information what the relative distance is from the
> lightsource(s) to the object(s) that is causing the shadow.

I've recently had need for a feature like this, but not for shadows -
instead, to provide texture mapping. Like how one object can be used to
project a texture onto another. Ideally this could be done as a
spherical map, so that UV and W could be specified (with W being the
distance to the centre of the sphere).

If it's difficult to add another dimension to texture maps, having
access to one dimension in the compositor (as proposed by toontje) would
be great.

On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 10:48 -0700, Sangwoo Hong wrote:
> Great idea but shouldn't this be mentioned on a board that's more
> related to coding then UI?  I was under the impression that this board
> was about UI and UI useability...

I thought it was about functionality. At an end-user level, but not just
UI.

Cheers,
Alex