[Bf-funboard] No Torus and some ideas (Snapping feature)

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Wed May 16 16:17:44 CEST 2007

--- Patrik Andersson <patrik at linet.se> wrote:

> > Custom meshes, like the Torus, are built from a
> Python
> > script, so you should make sure your user config
> > points to the correct script folder (it is in the
> > .blender folder which can be located in a couple
> of
> > places, depending on how you installed/ran
> Blender).
> >

> It's very unclear at the release pages

http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-244/mesh-primitives-update/

indeed, it could be much clearer (especially since
this enables user to add their own custom default
meshes).

> >> I think it would be great to extend the current
> >> snapping system with
> >> adding a changeable offset value. This could be a
> >> useful feature when
> >> you want to be more accurate with your models.
> >>

> > Do you have an interface proposal for that?
> >

> I do have an interface proposal. But it may not be
> the best one. It
> would be like this: While you are holding ctrl down
> to snapping. Press
> alt and you will change the size of the snapping
> circle, which will
> illustrate the offset. This way is not so exact,
> it's sad. If the user
> need to type a value then the user in most case
> release the ctrl button
> which will disabling snapping, it would be bad. Hope
> someone else have
> some better idea to solve this problem.

How would the offset be calculated in that case? Just
a distance offset to the snapping point? (that is,
snapping would stop a distance X before the point)

> I think there is something wrong in the
> snapping-algorithm.
> If I move something in the diagonal direction, and
> want snap to
> something that it's in another Y-pos whule I'm
> locking the X-axis. It
> appears that the snapping-algorithm using the
> distance, not the
> coordinate, which make it wrong I think.

Please post a screenshot, I'm not sure I understand
what you think is going wrong.

> >> The ability to lock X/Y/Z axis during
> >> transformations is good, is it
> >> possible to lock the Normal too?
> >>

> > Change the Orientation slider in the 3D view
> header
> > (or Alt-Space during transform), then press the
> > constraint hotkey twice (first time is global,
> second
> > time is whatever you selected).
> >

> Thankyou Martin, I'm using the middlebutton of my
> mouse to lock to the
> global axis.

It's accessible with MMB too, just use Ctrl-MMB (you
can release Ctrl while still holding down MMB when
selecting the axis) to access the second orientation.

Martin

TV dinner still cooling?
http://tv.yahoo.com/

!DSPAM:80,464b130356699416420724!