[Bf-funboard] No Torus and some ideas (Snapping feature)

Patrik Andersson patrik at linet.se
Wed May 16 14:24:55 CEST 2007

Martin Poirier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> --- Patrik Andersson <patrik at linet.se> wrote:
>

>> I just installed blender 2.44 64bit for linux
>> (python 2.4) and
>> discovered that the torus primitive is missing in
>> this version. I don't
>> find anything like this : add->mesh->Torus
>>

> Custom meshes, like the Torus, are built from a Python
> script, so you should make sure your user config
> points to the correct script folder (it is in the
> .blender folder which can be located in a couple of
> places, depending on how you installed/ran Blender).

It's very unclear at the release pages
http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-244/mesh-primitives-update/
>> I think it would be great to extend the current
>> snapping system with
>> adding a changeable offset value. This could be a
>> useful feature when
>> you want to be more accurate with your models.
>>

> Do you have an interface proposal for that?

I do have an interface proposal. But it may not be the best one. It
would be like this: While you are holding ctrl down to snapping. Press
alt and you will change the size of the snapping circle, which will
illustrate the offset. This way is not so exact, it's sad. If the user
need to type a value then the user in most case release the ctrl button
which will disabling snapping, it would be bad. Hope someone else have
some better idea to solve this problem.

I think there is something wrong in the snapping-algorithm.
If I move something in the diagonal direction, and want snap to
something that it's in another Y-pos whule I'm locking the X-axis. It
appears that the snapping-algorithm using the distance, not the
coordinate, which make it wrong I think.

Need to go now, I'll be back
> Coding the actual offset isn't hard, the problem is
> integrating it in the UI.
>

>> The ability to lock X/Y/Z axis during
>> transformations is good, is it
>> possible to lock the Normal too?
>>

> Change the Orientation slider in the 3D view header
> (or Alt-Space during transform), then press the
> constraint hotkey twice (first time is global, second
> time is whatever you selected).

Thankyou Martin, I'm using the middlebutton of my mouse to lock to the
global axis.