[Bf-funboard] Euler for animator, Quaternions for Blender

Roger hovergo at net-tech.com.au
Wed May 16 02:47:19 CEST 2007

<snip>

They are two systems for recording rotations.

> Euler angles are your typical Roll/Pitch/Yaw angles.  The problem is
> the three values are not independent and have some singularities
> (gimbal-lock problem at 90 degrees pitch, roll has no effect
> independent from yaw).
</snip>

Thank you Robert.
Funny thing is, your explanation discusses a problem I had some time ago
where I could not get rotations to behave as wished.
I thought I was doing something wrong so deleted and started over. Now I have a
glimmer of what its all about and why.

Looking at it from the point of view of a fighter aircraft in flight or the
starship Enterprise in space.
No matter what it's orientation in 3D space, a user defined axis can be
considered as the centre
line of the fuselage, determinations of roll pitch and yaw are relative to that
axis. If a user defined axis was wing tip to wing tip then the same applies.

I'm probably way off track and apologise for this  but could a user defined axis
bordered by a yaw circle.
be set up for a particular object or bone to be rotated around, then the
roll, pitch and yaw could be relative to the user defined axis instead of
x,y,z axes then be referred to as roll, pitch and yaw.
Gimbal lock then couldn't exist.
  A user defined axis could only have pitch and yaw regardless of orientation
and it's centre of pitch could be user defined anywhere along the axis, the
object to which it is applied would have roll.
I dont know if I am explaining this sufficiently, apologies for that.
Roger

!DSPAM:80,46490313106981934475907!