[Bf-funboard] Euler for animator, Quaternions for Blender

Bob Wenzlaff (AB8TD) rwenzlaff at soylent-green.com
Fri May 11 20:23:13 CEST 2007

At 12:13 AM 5/11/2007, you wrote:

>Hi all.
> From the current discussion, it seems to me that there are really interesting
>and highly professional people using Blender.
>I am really intrigued as to what Quaternions, Eulers are.

They are two systems for recording rotations.

Euler angles are your typical Roll/Pitch/Yaw angles.  The problem is
the three values are not independent and have some singularities
(gimbal-lock problem at 90 degrees pitch, roll has no effect
independent from yaw).  A singularity is a spot where there is no
precise mathematical solution.  Another way to think of the
gimbal-lock problem is to ask yourself:  "What's my longitude if I'm
at the north pole".

To solve this problem, a set of rotations can be broken into 4 parts
called Quaternations.  Quaternations are independent and there are no
singularities, but they don't represent rotations that can are
conveniently visualized like Eulers are because they are a pure
mathematical construct.

Thus internally we want to store animations rotations (at least) in
Quats, but allow the user to edit in Eulers so he can visualize
what's going on.  You need to smooth over the singularities, but
since you have the object on the screen, and the user is providing
feedback, you can make very good guesses as what to do at these
singularities (ie; if you are heading towards the Northpole, your
longitude is the direction you were heading from.)

Robert Wenzlaff