[Bf-funboard] Re: Patch: A tiny bit of Layer manager

GSR gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com
Sun Mar 25 03:33:06 CEST 2007

Hi,
cbarton at metavr.com (2007-03-25 at 0833.01 +1000):
> Dots in layers would give very useful feedback to the user and be great
> when opening old or other peoples blend files, saving you the bother of
> looking through layers or alternately enabling all and having to check
> for a free layer.

The thing is that "dot" is not the unique simple shape to mark
something. There are lots of shapes that fit the task, like triangle,
square, cross, line, rectangle, and some of them can appear in
different rotations and even filled or not. The bigger the place, the
more detail that can be added, but even with tiny things, there are
more than just dots (if you go really tiny, it ends being a square
anyway).

So again, why is some people so stuck with the "dots" all over the
place? Why other means or just shapes for feedback are not in the
plan? I find rather depressing all this arguing instead of trying to
find good solutions, that try to follow some rules about clarity,
consistency... and if thing have to be changed, change them, and if
things have to be thought twice before adding, better early than late.

GSR