[Bf-funboard] Patch: A tiny bit of Layer manager

Doug Ollivier doug at mudpuddle.co.nz
Fri Mar 23 22:51:02 CET 2007

>> I would like to note that this concept was demonstrated in a layer
>> management proposal on this mailing list not long ago. Just giving
>> credit where credit is due (to the best of my knowledge).
>
> There's of course nothing wrong with that. However, this concept is at
> least
> 2 years old as it was already part of the first version of
> instinctive-blender's Layer manager as announced on Newsforge back
> then...

Sorry wasn't trying to not credit you when putting the layer managers
proposal up.  In fact it makes me happy that development and ideas are
the same from many people.

The Dot graphic showing contents of a layer I think is fairly important
(Colours can be added behind a dot later anyway). however it would be
great to re-assess the icons at some stage.  as my first proposal had a
dot, which with other information needing to be passed became very
complex very quickly.

The second proposal is here.
http://blendergo.mudpuddle.co.nz/proposals/Layers2.pdf

The ideas which I think I added to the discussion are how the icons of
the layers are displayed to show different layer types (contents, empty,
hotkey..... the icons down the side of page 3 - Top to bottom the icons
went "Sub-layer" "Layer" "Layer with Keyboard shortcut" "Group with
Keyboard shortcut" and "Group without keyboard shortcut".  i figured
those five things needed a logical display at some stage in the future.

The other thing which i think i added was the idea of pulling together
the Layer-groups into the same graphical manager. (rather than now
having 3 interfaces for Render layers, Layer groups, and groups.  bring
there management all together)

Otherwise yes it is Alexander Ewering's stuff, which i think is a really
important step, and has been considered very well.  No reinventing the
wheel by me here.

But as i said the more people with the same ideas, the stronger they
are.  So I don't feel there is any competition between anything.

Cheers.

Doug Ollivier