[Bf-funboard] Groups display behaviour

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Fri Mar 23 00:38:38 CET 2007

Hi,

I've recently had a short discussion with Ton in the bug tracker about what
he considered a feature and me a bug, just wanted to know what others think
about it.

Intensely working with groups, I now had a group which had objects which
where almost entirely transparent, so I set their drawtype to "Bounds" (or
"Wire", for that matter).

However, after instancing the group, I found that ALL objects that get
instantiated use the drawtype from the GROUP DUPLICATOR, and the drawtypes
of the original objects are discarded.

This is of course a bit useless.

I suggested to Ton to make group duplicators use the *maximum combined
drawtype* of both the original object and the duplicator (just like the 3D
view works). However, he dismissed that as "Orange did it like this, and it
proved to be useful".

Does anyone else think that my suggestion is useful, or does everyone agree
that discarding the original drawtypes is perfect? ;-)