[Bf-funboard] Blender CAD?

Robert Wenzlaff (AB8TD) rwenzlaff at soylent-green.com
Fri Jun 22 01:00:52 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 20 June 2007 10:09, Early Ehlinger wrote:
> * "page" - a mechanism for defining what part of a 3D model should
> appear on a specific page, e.g., a list of cameras to render, tables, etc.

Blender's Scene can already be used for this quite well for the camera.  Not
sure what you mean by "tables, etc",

> * "scale cameras" - camera that produces a scaled drawing.  i.e., 1/12th
> scale.  Would have to be aware of the "page" object.

The ortho mode of a camera already has a scale factor, there just needs to be
some way to hard link the drawing units to the camera units.

But, while I agree that Blender could benefit from an expanded set of CAD-like
tools, and some other features of CAD programs could be useful (printable
views), I don't think Blender should endeavor to become a CAD package.  There
are too many opportunities for the needs to diverge.  When the CAD users want
Method A and the Animation users want Method B, then we get usually end up
with Method C and no-one is satisfied.

Perhaps you could cut the editing engine and controls out of Blender and make
a separate app and include an elegant way to seamlessly transfer data between
them.
     Overheard at the Wenzlaff house:

 Connor: Let's play Robin Hood.
 Liam: Ok, I'll be the Taxi collector.