[Bf-funboard] Blender CAD?

Early Ehlinger early at respower.com
Wed Jun 20 16:09:38 CEST 2007

I'm always amazed at how this group can turn such poorly constructed
criticism into positive feedback.  Kudos!

The big thing that most CAD packages for architecture lack is good
management of "page-based" communication.  The normal construction
process involves designing something in a CAD program (typically
AutoCAD), and then spitting out a series of printouts that the
contractor follows to actually build the building.  The problem is that
managing multiple pages and keeping the various drawings in synch is a
nightmare.

I think the following features would help Blender catch up with the
current CAD offerings:

* "page" - a mechanism for defining what part of a 3D model should
appear on a specific page, e.g., a list of cameras to render, tables, etc.
* "scale cameras" - camera that produces a scaled drawing.  i.e., 1/12th
scale.  Would have to be aware of the "page" object.
* "cross section camera"  - not sure exactly how to describe this other
than to say that you would position it by defining a "slicing plane" and
direction vector.  Would of course need to have a notion of scale as well.
* "parts" - AutoCAD has the notion of a "block" which is a sub-drawing
that can be repeatedly inserted in an overall drawing.
* "parts list" - special object that contains a list of all instances of
parts, perhaps including only those visible from a specific camera.
* "notation text" - text that isn't part of a model, but instead is part
of a page.  The font size for notation text should stay constant even if
the model's size/scale changes.
* "parametric parts" - should be fairly easy to implement if parts can
call python and store parameters.  I.e., should be able to specify a
door width numerically or from a pull-down menu.
* "named layers"
* "camera-specific-layer-on/off"
* "frozen layers" - take all objects in a specific layer and make them
read-only.
* "render to pdf" - take all pages in a .blend file and construct a PDF
document.

Just my 2 cents...

-- Early Ehlinger, President, ResPower, Inc.