[Bf-funboard] Read/write of 16bit PNG

Carsten Wartmann carsten.wartmann at imago-viva.de
Mon Jan 29 00:04:42 CET 2007

Tom M schrieb:
>> Its a standard http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2083 and when a application
>> can make use of 16bit and can`t read 16bit/color because the code its
>> not there *I* would call it bug. Prove me wrong by explain why it does
>> not make sense, be kind I am only a stupid writer.
>
> A bug is something that was designed to work previously but no longer
> works.  That is what Ton meant.  So no it isn't a bug, but yes it is

Yes, I understand that pov, however, if I plan a certain functioninality
"smash 7 flies" and everytime I use it it will only kill 6 flies.... ;-)
Well I would document it as "Will kill at least 6 out of 7 flies every
call"....

But I must admit that I would have known its not a bug when I had looked
  earlier in the source (seeing these "if bitdepth>8 then bitdepth=8"
lines ;-)

 > I doubt 16bit pngs can be done for this release, but it
 > should certainly be a todo for after 2.43

Thats great, I can live with this. I will poke again some time :-)

Regards,
Carsten