[Bf-funboard] Read/write of 16bit PNG

Carsten Wartmann carsten.wartmann at imago-viva.de
Sun Jan 28 18:57:24 CET 2007

Hi,

Ton told me that "16 bits png reading was not meant to work." in
Blender. (see
http://projects.blender.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=125&aid=5839&group_id=9)

I wonder why. Is it not usefull? I mean we have now bigger depth images
in Blender with DPX, EXR and whatever, so why ot PNG?

For my case it is of course usefull, and I think the displacement
modifier is also for others but limited with 8bit resolution. Well maybe
it works with all the other fileformats, but my tests were quite mixed,
producing 64 to 120MB images for just a simple 16bit 4096x4096 greymap
is not very usefull.

Maybe its also nice to see "Blender: All PNG Formats read and write" here:

http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/pngap3d.html

Its a standard http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2083 and when a application
can make use of 16bit and can`t read 16bit/color because the code its
not there *I* would call it bug. Prove me wrong by explain why it does
not make sense, be kind I am only a stupid writer.

Best Regards,
Carsten