[Bf-funboard] Softbody Lattices and Self Colision?

bkurdali at freefactory.org bkurdali at freefactory.org
Sun Jan 7 20:26:34 CET 2007

Indeed, Ton had talked about making a "mesh deformer"- mdef for short
in the past based on a paper from pixar, in which a low rez mesh can
be used to deform a high rez one, similarly to how a lattice works. I
gather tha matsh behind this are a bit complicated, so I have no idea
when/if this will happen. For sure not for this release, but it is
possible for the next one ( I'm one of the culprits for bugging him
about it from time to time ;) )
In the meantime you can do what we did for proog's coat in ED, or
something similar - it is quite nasty to set up- have a low rez
softbody mesh, vertex parent empties to that mesh, and use the empties
to drive an armature, lattice, or as hooks to drive the underlying
high rez mesh directly. You will spend a looooong time on the setup,
depending on how involved your situation is, and you will probably
have to compromise the niceness of the deformations. On the plus side,
you can animate the empties to tweak the result of the simulation
should you need to.
Bassam