[Bf-funboard] Feature Idea

Fidelis Josaphat Soekahar fjosaphat at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 08:10:30 CET 2007

I'm not sure where I should post this, but have any of you tried
CBModelPro? The website is on cbmodelpro.com. CBModelPro is based on
kids 3D modeling program, called Cosmic Blobs. Nevertheless, I think it
have the most unique feature of all 3D modeling software, dynamic mesh
resolution adaptation (I don't know what exactly they name this
technology).

The point is, when you model with it the model will automatically adapt
its own resolution, pull a point then the whole mesh density is
automatically calculated, so every part of the model have evenly
distributed mesh. The only downside is CBModelPro's mesh are very messy,
consist of ununiform triangles like when you model with meta objects in
blender. I discuss with them in their forum, it seems that they not sure
where they want to go with this technology, and some of my suggestions
they said are rather impossible to implement with their technology, such
as smoothing brush or retopology tool.

Nevertheless, with blender new retopology tool, I kept CBModelPro on my
side. It's faster to build irregular organic objects in CBModelPro (most
of the time I use it for model drafting) and when I intend to create
animatable object out of it, I just need to import it from blender and
do the retopology process.

I'm not a programmer, and I don't think it is easy to build, but how
about a similar technique for polygon modeling in Blender but a much
cleaner method? For instance, when extruding a polygon, the new part
automatically divided with several edges, depends on how long the user
pull the polygons while maintaining quads. Or perhaps implement this
feature as part of Blender sculpting tool, so users can only think on
shaping their objects in very artistic manners.

This way artists can focus on the artistic side of the models, rather
than concerning the model's topology. In some cases the artist are
intend to make a part having less resolution, so perhaps provide two
mode for modeling, the dynamic adapting mode, and the static mode. But
from what I see, most character modelers are pursuing evenly distributed
polygons on their model and I do think Blender features were pushed more
into organic/character creation.

The difficulty with Blender's current sculpt mode, is that I need to
build a base mesh, consisting of evenly distributed polygons on each
parts, otherwise, when I sculpt then I see a part are damaged since
there's not enough polygons in that specific area. This can be tiresome,
since I need to go back to the base mesh, do some more editings then
back to sculpt mode again.

Maybe I'll post a picture if you don't get what I mean.

Yes, I know even zbrush don't have such sophisticated technology. Most
3D software packages I try haven't got this feature yet but this are
just suggestion anyway.