[Bf-funboard] Object Search

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Thu Feb 15 00:27:57 CET 2007

On 14/02/2007, at 5:32 PM, Campbell Barton wrote:

> Hi, Im writing because Id like some feedback on use usefullnes on a
> script I wrote today, wondering if the functionality belonges in
> Blender.
>
> Its an "Object search" tool that will find objects based on the
> data they use.

I'd say it definitely should be a part of Blender - for a while I've
wanted/considered this in the form of a search field in the header of
the Outliner that would filter out everything except datablocks
containing that text, and the objects that they are linked to. I'm
pretty sure XSI has this in its Explorer view (same as our outliner).

It would be good that way since just the process of trying to find
things shouldn't really mess with your selections - if you've used
the search in top right corner iTunes, it would be just like that.
Bonus points for find-as-you-type! Should be a lot easier to
implement now too, after Joshua's work with searching there...

Matt

Matt Ebb . matt at mke3.net . http://mke3.net