[Bf-funboard] Default Camera Orientation

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 6 16:56:27 CET 2007

--- Stephen Swaney <sswaney at centurytel.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 06:31:45AM -0800, Martin
> Poirier wrote:
> >
> > --- Carsten Wartmann <cw at blenderbuch.de> wrote:

> for
> > > cameras ? If I'm not
> > > default behaviour to align
> when
> > > created.
> > >
> > > I think the camera needs to be an exception.
> >
> > Cameras and lamp, I would say.
> >
> > Actually, what would be better than predefined
> > exceptions is a per object type user setting, like
> the
> > "Duplicate with object" settings.
>
> This is starting to get complicated.  Simple to use
> means
> a simple mental model.   This is turning into "It
> always
> works like this.  Except in this case.  Oh, and this
> other one!"

I think it highlights differences between how
different object types are used.

Objects that represents "models" (mesh, curve, surf,
...) are very likely to have a neutral "rest" position
(aligned with global space) whereas cameras and lamps
will most definitely not and will be rotated to point
at a target.

> That suggests to me that we are going down the wrong
> road with
> this feature.

Or it means we should do more careful usability
testing to see what's really useful.

Martin